Sunday, November 11, 2012

International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church 2012

Today is a very special day, a day when we as Christians stand up with our brothers and sisters who are persecuted and suffer for the name of Christ.  Today we take time to remember them and pray for them that they may persevere in their faith. On average 150,000 Christians who try to spread the gospel in communist or islamic countries are killed each year. What will you do with this information?

Today the Pastor at my church shared this poem:

TRAVELING ON MY KNEES

Last night I took a journey
To a land across the seas.
I didn't go by ship or plane
I traveled on my knees.

I saw so many people there
In bondage to their sin,
And Jesus told me I should go, 
That there were souls to win.

But I said "Jesus, I can't go
To lands across the seas."
He answered quickly, "Yes, you can
By traveling on your knees."

He said, "You pray, I'll meet the need.
You call, and I will hear.
It's up to you to be concerned
For lost souls far and near."

And so I did; knelt in prayer,
Gave up some hours of ease,
And with the Savior by my side,
I traveled on my knees.

As I prayed on, I saw souls saved
And twisted persons healed,
I saw God's workers strength renewed
While laboring in the field.

I said, "Yes Lord, I'll take the job.
Your heart I want to please.
I'll heed Your call and swiftly go
By traveling on my knees."

By: Sandra Goodwin

What a sweet reminder that though many of us might not travel to other lands, we can still help by praying.  

As I prepare to go wherever the Lord calls me I think about my fellow brothers and sisters.  I think about Paul and how even in his imprisonment God used his chains to advance the gospel:

[Philippians 1:12-26]
"Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear....."
As an American I have never faced the situation where someone says to me: Deny Christ or die.  I pray that God would prepare my heart should such a day come here, when our beliefs are deemed unconstitutional and our Pastors are ripped from their pulpits.  I was told of an underground church in which everyone was to be prepared to preach because there would be times when their pastor was taken away and the next person was expected to step in and preach the Word of God.  

I don't know where God is going to send me through this contest, but I know that he will guide me and show me exactly what needs to be done for his kingdom.  Pray for your brothers and sisters we must stand with them, show them that we are one with them.

-A. 

No comments:

Post a Comment