Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Battles are waged, but the War is Won.

I can't tell you how many days and nights were spent, pouring myself out onto canvas for my God.  I don't think that I've ever done work like this ever.  It's amazing for me to look back at the work that I have done from my Untitled Polaroids which I was SO proud of(but had nothing to do with my Lord), to the Below series which I thought had a purpose(which they did, but lacked the anointing of God), to the Journey series which spoke of how God brought me back to himself(but was still about me and myself) to this series here in which each piece was made to show only who God is and his love for the people of this world.  What words can describe this experience but that I seek only to please my King and Savior and to let His Name be glorified.

"He must become greater, I must become less."




The pictures above are from the Underground Preview night held on January 27th.  Three of my pieces made it into the gallery showing.  My family came out to support me on this night, since it was free and there wouldn't be as much chaos AND my Grandpa came which was a miracle!  I even got to plant a little seed as I explained the flower piece to him.  I know that God is faithful to reach many including my family.


The day of the show, my best friend Mariam and I arrived at South Side on Lamar at around 2:30.  We worked really hard at getting my "booth" set up and laid out just right.  I was able to get a darker spot because of my artworks use of light.  It was the perfect place under one of the walkways. As 7:00 came around VIP ticket holders were about to come in the door.  I was definitely feeling nervous, but God was keeping me calm I know.  I really didn't know what to expect from this night I was really putting it all in God's hands.

The first person to come up as I was painting asked about my piece with Romans 6, I believe the words that came out of my mouth went something like this "Bascially all the text you see is scripture, this is Romans 6 and it says that the wages of sin is death and that God sent Jesus Christ to give us eternal life" the guy then asked me "what have you been through in life" and I told him that through depression and a bad relationship I had put a boy in place of my God and God had to come in and change me and now I am living for Him and him alone.

Never had I had such a bold word come out of my mouth and to a complete stranger! The Lord truly is amazing because I know those words did not flow out of my own accord but by his Holy Spirit.

Mariam was really a great help, she talked to so many people explaining my work better than I could I think and was even able to ask a few people if they needed prayer.  I had a few bibles with us and so we passed them out to a few people.  One guy in particular actually asked if we were involved in a church so we gave a bible to him as well.  So many people came, so many broken hearts and lives, so many in sin, so many wandering lost.  I have to keep reminding myself that each and every one of them has a place in God's kingdom. 


"...so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ and each one of you is a part of it."

~


This is the piece that I worked on during the show.  Using these scriptures: 


"Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean. "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness."


"When an impure spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that person is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation."

As many people walked by I was able to share this with them, they would ask me about my work.  I would share the basis of it being that the Word of God is illuminated by the Holy Spirit.  I used all scripture for my art and each canvas is lit from behind.  For the piece I was working on during the show I was able to point to the human condition that without Christ we can look beautiful and fine on the outside, but when the Holy Spirit shines a light in our lives it reveals the sin and demons hiding underneath our exterior.  It was really easy to talk about Christ in this way, having people ask questions and being able to have an open conversation about the Word of God was phenomenal.  So many people stopped by I can't even keep track of them all.


Voiceless Glory. [pic credit Mariam]
Voiceless Glory behind all of my painting supplies.


My mixing palette. [pic credit Mariam] 


The top layer
"He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings utter darkness into the light."

"My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from me, nor is their sin concealed from my eyes."

"...He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart..."


whats hidden underneath will always be revealed
by God's Holy Spirit.
I am so unworthy to have God trust me with this artistic talent, but I will do whatever he asks me to do. To God be the glory for all of the seeds planted on this night, let his name be exalted and my own fade away.  My reward is in His Name.


"So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow."

-A.




2 comments:

  1. Your paintings are awesome! I'm glad I peeked in and that they are inspired from the word, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda! Glad that you are seeing the Word in my Work! :)

    ReplyDelete