Monday, June 20, 2011

TODAY IS WORLD REFUGEE DAY.


Question: What does it mean to be a refugee?

Answer: This is someone that has been forced to flee his/her home country because of war, persecution or violence. Due to this they cannot return to their country.

Since meeting Everfound I've been doing a little research and since also today just happened to be World Refugee Day this seemed like the perfect moment to give you guys some information and websites about the topic.

This spread sheet is from the UNHCR --> The UN Refugee Agency.  It gives you the number of refugees living in the United States from different countries around the world from 2000-2009.  The numbers are staggering, but it also makes me wonder how many people out there are still in need of refuge from the violence and persecution that they experience every single day.  Do we really know how many there are? No, but we can pray and trust God knowing that he has it all in his hands.

This is my prayer for all the refugees in the world:

So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.

Please keep those who are refugees in your prayers on this day, and for those who are facing war, persecution and violence in their countries now let us pray that God would give them strength and courage to face what is in front of them with confident hearts in our Jesus.

Mosaic Family Services Inc. is another excellent source for more information about refugee's and what you can do to help.  Please check out their website and inform yourself and others as much as possible.

Martyrs: Contemporary Writers on Modern Lives of Faith
On a side note, recently a friend and I went to a public library book sale these were books that were withdrawn from the shelves for one reason or another. I picked up a falling apart book called:

Martyrs: Contemporary Writers on Modern Lives of Faith edited by Susan Bergman.

I have to say that I am not even through the first writer and I've already been brought to tears several times, because of the fact that 1. These people deserve so much better than what they've suffered and 2. I realize that the way I live is not enough and I am unworthy to even speak the name Jesus Christ.

This first chapter is written in such a wonderful way, it is not only highly informative, intelligent(I've had to read it over and over again just to get what Bergman is explaining), but it is also poetic and captures my heart with every word. And at one point after describing several instances of martyrdom she simply says: "How to draw close to them?" She is speaking of when Paul wrote to the Corinthians "When one member suffers, all the members suffer..."

How can we, how can I, live with this knowledge of persecution and violence towards my own people and live life so non-chalantly? How can I take the Word of God so half heartedly and make light of what people are WILLING TO DIE FOR?  So today I encourage you who are reading, take a stand for what is right and pray for those who seem so far away, but share in the same inheritance that we have through Jesus Christ the one and only Savior of our souls and rightful recipient of all the honor and glory in the world.

Tell me, how do you feel about this?

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment