Monday, June 6, 2011

This season.

I am in a season of training. A season of breaking down and building up. I am in a season of continual surrender and although it seems hard, I know that this is God's way of giving me what is best.

Things tend to happen to me while I'm driving in my car.  For instance there is a particular road that I drive every single morning on my way to work.  It goes through some industrial buildings, nothing really special about it, it winds and curves and ends up where I need to be.  Most mornings when I drive I'm a little zoned out only focusing on the road, the stop signs and the stop lights any traffic around etc...but on one particular morning I looked up into the sky and noticed something that I had not noticed before.

Dallas.

Just above the horizon in front of me was the Dallas skyline.  How beautiful it was when I looked up as the sun was just rising and shining just enough to make a slight silhouette of the buildings.  I wondered how could I have missed this?  I've been driving this way to work for a year now and had never noticed it before.

In that moment God began speaking to my heart.  Its our typical human response to, instead of seeing the destination and keeping our eyes and hearts focused on that, only focus on the path in front of our feet.  How long it seems, how at certain times the scenery isn't as pretty as we'd hoped, when we find obstacles in our way or have to take a detour, or when we try and take a short cut it doesn't exactly go as we plan and we have to back track....and we do this very often, all the time in fact.

Its really the same as our journey with God.  We are so focused on the path and trying to figure out how to get to where we need to be, we forget where it is we are going, WHO it is we are running to.

Seeing that Dallas skyline, that I had no idea was right in front of me or how I would even get to it from where I was, but that didn't matter.  In the same way we see where God wants us to be right in front of us and we have no clue how God is going to get us there, but that is why we have faith.


[Hebrews 11:1]
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

It doesn't matter if we can see the whole picture, the entire journey, the map of it all, but what matters is that through Jesus Christ we have that blessed assurance and faith that He knows what is best for us and will guide us there if we just keep our eyes on Him.

A.

2 comments:

  1. Love that comment... sometimes the scenery is as pretty as we hoped. Life is gritty huh friend? Especially through the valleys...

    Nice blog.

    Geoff

    http://sevensentences.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Geoff for the comment, I think that, especially in the valleys, its important for me to see the beauty in the chaos of it all. ^_^

    ReplyDelete